The Counts’s Palace of Isla ( Palacio de los Condes)
Art style: Regional classicism
Property of Cultural Interest from 1991
At the entrance of Isla from Arnuero, located in the heart of the historal city center, in the neighborhood where the parish church is.
It was built at the end of the XVII century by D.Juan Fernández de Isla, who became the Archbishop of Burgos. Creator of the Astillero of Guarnizo and various industries en Cantabria, he became the illustrious character of the region under the reign of Fernando V.
Declared Patrimony of Cultural Interest in 1991, the palace is located in the historal city center, next to the church San Julian y Santa Basillisa.
The palatial architecture from the XVII century is marked by the sobriety and simplicity of this size, demonstrating their nobility and lordship with the strength of its stone walls, setting well-carved stones or heraldic elements.
A big stone fence surronds the enclosure. The singular particularity is their interior courtyard, a veritable example of the beauty of this palace. Moreover, at this time and in the Cantabrian houses, it was a rare ocurrence.
In 1676 D.Juan Fernández was beshop of Cádiz, and after that he was archbishop of Burgos in 1680. During this years, he ordered the construction of this extensive palace and restored the parochial church for his funeral chapel.
The palace can’t be visited because is a private property and is often closed.. But the tourist can walk along to admire the beauty of the landscape.